Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Franchisee Profile: Pam Wallace, Franchisee of Stamford, Connecticut


View Larger Map

Q: Where are you from?

A: I’m originally from Ohio, but have lived in New York City for the past 20 years. I have always liked New England, so when I started thinking about opening my own business I knew I wanted to be in the tri-state area.


Q: What was your career before franchising?

A: My background is in marketing. Most recently I worked as the director of customer marketing for Investools, a consumer education, publishing and social networking website. Before that, I served as vice president of marketing for J.P. Morgan Chase, corporate vice president of marketing for InCharge Institute and worked in several management facets at Merrill Lynch. I decided to make the move from the corporate world to owning my own business because it was something I have always wanted to do and seemed more appealing than being back in a large corporate environment. Combined with an MBA from Harvard University, I believe my past business experience in the marketing field has prepared me to successfully run my spa.


Q: How did you learn about Hand & Stone?

A: I worked with several brokers who brought me different ideas, but I was most impressed with Hand & Stone. I think the membership model is beneficial for customers, employees and the business owner. It shows that the brand really wants to keep and nurture the customers.


Q: What was appealing to you about joining a franchise system?

A: I like that the franchise presents a model to the business owner. Hand & Stone has great vendor relationships, they put you through a training program, they help you with lease negotiations — all of these things are processes I didn’t have any experience with. It is helpful to be with a company that has that knowledge and can guide you. It’s a much easier way to start a business than starting from scratch.


Q: What will you bring to the community?

A: As the first Hand & Stone location in the state of Connecticut, there is a lot I’ll be able to bring to Stamford. I heard from a lot of people that there weren’t many stand-out spas in the area, so I saw a definite need here. From a personal point of view, I love Fairfield County so much and New England so much that I’m happy to become part of the community.


Q: How did you finance your business?

A: I did not want to dip into my 401(k), so I applied for a Small Business Administration loan. I think that part of the process is where my business school background helped me. I’ve realized that everything I’ve learned so far in my career is coming together in this venture. I wrote a great business plan and was approved for the loan within two weeks.


Q: What are your expansion or development plans?

A: I am planning to open multiple locations — all in Fairfield County.


ABOUT HAND & STONE

Hand & Stone is a 50-plus unit massage and facial spa with a mission to bring massage and facial services to the masses, tapping into the “day-cation market segment. Launched in 2005 by a passionate physical therapist, John Marco and now led by franchise veteran Todd Leff, Hand & Stone now has locations in 12 states and Canada with plans to open an additional 20 locations by the end of 2011. For more information on Hand & Stone, visit www.handandstone.com.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Web Analytics