Friday, October 7, 2011

Franchisee Profile: Chris Parks of Raleigh, NC


View Larger Map


Projected Opening Date: November 2011
Location: North Raleigh

Q: Where are you from?
A:  I’m from Tennessee.  I moved to Wilmington, NC for college and went to UNC-W.  Since then, I’ve already moved several times for corporate careers. Finally, after 12 years, I made it back to North Carolina, relocating to the Raleigh area.

Q: What was your career before franchising?
A:  For my over 15 years in corporate America, I worked with consumer product goods companies including RJ Reynolds and Hostess brands in various roles of sales and marketing. After two layoffs, I decided business ownership was a way that I could choose my own destiny.

Q: How did you learn about Hand & Stone?
A:   A franchise broker (Entrepreneur Source) called me out of the blue. Just prior to that, my friend who had also taken a severance package had told me he was going to open a franchise so the broker’s timing was spot on. I chose to also look into franchising.

Q: Why did you decide to open your own business?
A:  Opening my own business symbolizes freedom and flexibility to me. The accomplishments that I have in my business will be so much greater.  Ultimately I realized that you can continue the madness in corporate America or you can control your own destiny. 

Q: When choosing a franchise, what were the criteria you used to make your decision?
A: My franchise consultant and I went through a discovery phase. I filled out surveys, questionnaires; talked on the phone about my personal goals. I spoke about wanting to have an opportunity to have residual income and selling a profitable business when the time comes. I chose Hand & Stone because it is my time to help people feel good in a healthy way.

Q: What was appealing to you about joining a franchise system?
A:  I wanted structure, support, a team environment and networking that franchising offers. Since this is an established system, there are other franchisees I can talk to for advice and guidance while starting my business.

Q: With regard to your previous experience, what skills do you feel helped you in your business?
A:  I think the most important skill that I’ve refined throughout my career is being a team player. I have a knack for dealing with customers in good or bad situations; assembling successful and cohesive teams to reach goals.

Q: How did you finance your business?
A:  I looked into all avenues. I chose to get financed through a private investor. It is a win/win situation.

Q: What obstacles have you overcome to get where you are today with your business?
A:  I have been through two corporate downsizings and a full range of emotions that come with that. After being with a company for 16 years, I went through many different emotions, but the biggest thing I’ve learned from the experiences is that now is the time for me to get out of my own way. Working for a large company, you have the security or the feign security, but when you are on your own, it is all on your shoulders. I had to realize that I could do it on my own. I finally got to that point after this second downsizing.

Q: What are your expansion or development plans?
A:  I would love to develop more than one location, at least three to five ideally.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Web Analytics