Friday, September 16, 2011

Franchisee Profile: Nick O'Neill of Longwood, FL


Location: 2425 State Road 434
Longwood, Fla. 32779


Q: Where are you from?
A: I’m originally from Ireland. I moved to the U.S. when I was 21 years old, working part-time at my uncle’s company in Portland, Me., as a marine engineer. I did that for two summers, then came to the States for good to attend college, where I earned my degree in nursing. After graduation, I worked at a psychiatric hospital for a couple of years as a psychiatric nurse, then was introduced to the property management field. It was around that time that I purchased a few rental properties in Florida, and moved to the state in 2004 to start my own property management company.

Q: How did you decide to open a Hand & Stone?
A: About a year ago, someone gave me a voucher for a massage place and while I was speaking with one of the therapists they told me they were busy all the time. The housing market is testy right now, so I started to think that going into the spa industry might be a smart business move. I began looking into franchise opportunities and saw that Hand& Stone is a brand that has room for growth, a diverse business plan and a better overall system than its competitors.

Q: What was appealing to you about joining a franchise system?
A: With this type of business, you need a lot of startup support. In this market, you can’t afford to learn by making mistakes — it’s just too costly. Business owners know that the first year is critical, and I wanted to make sure that I had the support especially at the beginning so I would make less mistakes than I would on my own.

Q: What skills do you feel have helped you in your business?
A: I think working with people in general in several different areas and different settings has helped me. This is a people business, and it’s about understanding their needs and always trying to look for the best approach. I want to create an atmosphere where people come in and enjoy the service and want to keep coming back.

Q: What are your development or expansion plans?
A: With the expected success of my first location, I hope to expand into other areas in the future.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Web Analytics