Thursday, September 5, 2013

Franchisee Spotlight: Anna Spade, Huntington Beach, CA

Anna Spade, 52, a 30-year veteran in the marketing and advertising sales industry, started her education at the George L. Graziadio School of Business and Management at Pepperdine University.  From there, she went on to get her MBA in technology management at University of Phoenix and finally finished with a certificate in internet marketing from Full Sail University in Florida. While getting her multiple degrees and certificates, she worked in the telecommunications industry. 

Spade started her career at GTE Directories in their Human Resources department.  When GTE was bought by Verizon Information Services, she grew and changed with the company – in 1996, she moved on to work as a marketing manager and senior staff consultant at GTE Directories/Verizon Information Services. 

In March of 2012, Spade left her position and ultimately decided to open her Hand & Stone Massage and Facial Spa. With her multiple business degrees and years of experience helping family members and friends with their business plans, she decided it was time to open her own retail store.

Why did you choose an opportunity with Hand & Stone?
After I left the Yellow Pages and Internet advertising industry, I started to look around for a different job, but I couldn’t find anything that I felt was right for me.  During the last five years of my career out on the streets as a media consultant, I frequently got massages; I need them for stress relief and overall relaxation on the weekends after a hard work week.  I saw a large area for growth in the spa community and I want to be in the kind of environment that Hand & Stone has created.  I felt that Hand & Stone had a good strategy and was already a well-known brand. 

What challenges have you overcome to get where you are now?
I knew very little about the spa industry when I made my decision to purchase the franchise. But now I am attending classes at the Career Academy of Beauty so I can obtain my Esthetician’s license. I am learning a lot about different skin types and conditions as well as how to individualize treatments so they are appropriate for each client. I want to be knowledgeable about the inner-workings of my business so I can run the store as well as one of the staff estheticians.

What are some of the publications you read? Local? National? What is your goal publication with your business?

I like reading the Huntington Beach Independent newspaper to learn about what’s going on in the community.  I also enjoy the Orange County Living magazine because it has a lot of interesting articles that provide you with good information that is important before making buying decisions.  It has lots of great photos and high quality contractors and other service providers that advertise there.  A slightly more glamorous magazine that I enjoy is Orange Coast Magazine.  It covers everything about Orange Coast area including entertainment, shopping, dining, cooking and relaxing.  When I’m shopping for a deal or just looking for entertainment ideas, I check out the Clipper Magazine.  I also like over-sized direct mail pieces, especially if they are magnetic and include a calendar along with the marketing message.  They are not only useful, but a constant reminder for those who like to stick them on their refrigerator doors.

1 comments:

Tomspry said...

This is so interesting blog. You are best listing knowledge provide at this site. I am very excited read this nice article. You can visit my Direct Selling Franchise website.

Post a Comment

 
Web Analytics